This is a great meal with a southwestern flair that can be cooked in a Dutch oven over charcoal or a propane stove. If you wish, you can add sour cream, avocados, or other traditional toppings to final the dish for more flavor.
Instructions (Before Camp)
- Dice peppers and onions. Place in freezer bag
- keep chicken and diced peppers/onions cold for transport.
Instructions (During Camp)
- Grease Dutch Oven with oil and preheat over 20 briquettes.
- Chop chicken breasts into small pieces
- Sauté meat along with bell pepper and onions in a hot Dutch oven
- Sprinkle chicken with paprika, salt, ground black pepper, and Creole-Cajun seasoning to taste
- Drain the cans of diced tomatoes and diced tomatoes with green chilies. Save the liquid Add drained tomatoes to Dutch oven and mix with the chicken.
- Once the chicken and tomatoes are thoroughly heated, add chicken broth and liquid from the drained cans of diced tomatoes and diced tomatoes with green chilies. Bring to a boil if using propane, or heat for 10 minutes if using charcoal.
- Add rice, mix well, cover, and let simmer until the rice has absorbed the liquid and becomes tender.
- Sprinkle shredded cheese over top of rice and chicken. Replace the lid on the Dutch oven until the cheese has melted.
- Wrap 4 tortilla's is damp paper towels and then wrap in aluminum foil. Heat foil wrapped tortillas on charcoal or propane for 1 minute only each side. Repeat until all tortillas are warm.
- Serve Concho Valley Chicken with warm tortillas. Add sour cream, avocados, or other optional toppings.
Type of Dish:
Number of Servings:
Before Camp Preparation Time:
During Camp Preparation Time:
- 1 tbsp Vegetable oil
- 4 skinless, bone-less chicken breast halves
- 2 green bell peppers, diced
- 1 medium onion, diced
- ground black pepper
- 1 can diced tomatoes (14 oz)
- 1 can diced tomatoes with green chilies
- Creole-Cajun seasoning to taste
- 32 fl oz chicken broth
- 14 oz minute rice
- 2 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 1 package flour tortillas (12-count)
- 1 package sour cream (optional)
- 1 avocado (optional)
- 12" Dutch Oven
- Propane stove if not using charcoal.
- large spoon for mixing/serving
- can opener
- Charcoal briquets or propane.
- freezer bags